"Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much do the same thing." -Meg Chittenden

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Sticky Note Envy

Don't you just want one?
I'm either very organized or not organized at all, depending on who you ask and how you look at it. My room is nearly always cluttered, but if you wanted me to find something, I could find it for you. When it comes to my writing, everything is stored in nice, tidy file cabinets...in my head. I have a drawer for every story, character, place, and plot, all neatly labeled. However, I can never manage to keep track of minor details. Somehow they get lost in translation.

Enter the sticky note, my idea keeper, my organizer, my life-saver. I use them for everything in writing. When I wake up in the middle of the night with an idea, I write it down on a sticky note. When I want to bookmark a page for future reference, I use a sticky note. When I need to remind myself to edit something in past or future chapters, I write it on a sticky note. Does that make them time lords?

What's not to love about colorful, mildly sticky notepads?

I read once that the man who invented sticky notes was attempting to create a super-sticky adhesive. Instead, he wound up with something only mildly sticky. Not only that, it responded to pressure and was reusable. Talk about happy accidents!

Frequently I find myself getting envious when I see someone with cooler sticky notes than me. It happened today, when I saw a different color-scheme than my sticky notes. I, of course, had to have them, despite the fact that this now brought my total number of little stickies to 7. I have twice as many medium-sized ones, and several large ones of various sizes.

Do I have a problem? Maybe. But I find myself craving those Tetris-shaped sticky notes, because who wouldn't want them?

No comments:

Post a Comment