"Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much do the same thing." -Meg Chittenden

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Chewing on Pencils

I have had a Word document open now for about three weeks with the beginnings of a new story written on it. It says "Chapter One". Yup. That's about it. This is how I roll.

Sometimes, a story will come to me all at once, and I'll start it and finish ten pages in a couple hours. But other times, like now, the story comes in bits and pieces. First, it was the color of my character's eyes. Next, who she would fall in love with (because I can't resist a story with a bit of a romance). After that, a few civilizations and cultures. I've drawn a map as well, but I have no name for my country, and no name for my character. I'll probably have all this build up, then never write anything more than "chapter one" in this story. Happens all the time.

I have boxes and boxes of notebooks and napkins with writing on them. I haven't finished many stories. I hope that someday I'll get something done. The one story I have finished is unedited. But the changes I want to make to it are SO big, and I want to re-write the sequel almost entirely...it's rather disheartening. I will get to it eventually. Perhaps this summer. After all, August is the two-year anniversary of when I started writing it in the first place.

Hopefully this block will become unblocked soon, and the creative energy in my brain will start flowing. I only have a week of vacation before I have to get back to work. Then, time will be limited. I've been rather distracted by OMG-facts.com though. Perhaps some of them will show up in my writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment