As a mostly fantasy writer, I like to make up funky names for my places and characters. This is where a lot of writers struggle, and I'm no exception. Where can I find names that are unique but don't sound completely ridiculous?
Well, I usually start with baby naming lists and work from there (for characters at least). I write down lists and lists of names that are unique but not unheard of and alter them. Sometimes I change the spelling, but sometimes I'll take the beginnings of one name and the end of another and combine them. Or I'll change some of the sounds in it until it sounds like it would fit my character. Usually at that point I have at least somewhat of a character sketch figured out.
For places, I like to look at categories of things, different languages, and cool-sounding phonemes. Right now, I have a country named after a type of strawberry, a crater named after a Gaelic language, and a city that's a combination between the Latin and Spanish words for "whale". I also have a list of words that combine the Aztec and Arabic languages. I like to play with the sounds until I come up with something I like.
Also, whenever I come across a cool word, sound, or name, I write it down. I have a running list of all the names I like best! Actually, I have several, but I'm moving them into one place!
No comments:
Post a Comment