"Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much do the same thing." -Meg Chittenden

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Irrepressible "It's"


I was reading over my latest blog entry and I realized something: it was incredibly vague. I used placeholders such as "it's" to talk about my story, but I never mentioned a thing about it.

In fact, I believe I can now consider it a "pesk" word for that post. Yes, I realize "pesk" isn't a word (my browser is continually informing me as I type it in and it underlines it in squiggly red) but I once had the incredible opportunity to have an editor read a short piece I had written, and that was the word she used. I incorporated it into my vocabulary then and still use it to this day.

What is a pesk word? We all have them, but we rarely realize that they are there. Even for those of us who don't write on a daily basis can find them in our speech. The word "like" is a common placeholder, and therefore overused. A pesk word. I, myself, use the words "also" and "awesome" in my speech on an hourly (sometimes minute-ly) basis.

In my writing, the word "just" was my biggest pesk word a few years ago, and a "highlight all" search through my stories would reveal a ratio that is too embarrassing to repeat of "just"s to other words. Lately, I've been editing them out as I go (it's hard for me not to see the word just now...it pops out like a grammar mistake) and I have very nicely come to the 166/94,304 ratio I currently stand in. However, other words have picked up the slack, such as "that" and "even". I really need to work on that.

It's just that even small words can be obnoxious. (See what I did there?)

No comments:

Post a Comment