"Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much do the same thing." -Meg Chittenden

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Maps Ahoy!



I always feel like the biggest nerd when I draw maps for the worlds I have created, but it's a must for me. They nearly always include an ocean, and generally also have mountains, deserts, plains, lakes, rivers...pretty much everything you could possibly put on a map. Sometimes I feel like I need to limit myself geographically.

Mostly I just use them for my own reference, but I also have them as backstory. For example, if there is a giant, circular crater that takes up half of a mountain range, I want to know why that's there and how it happened. What part of history caused that? What kinds of people live in a cold desert with white sand?

I just thought of something I don't often have...jungles!

Although now that I think about it, Washington isn't really all that big, and it has an ocean, rainforests, two mountain ranges, a peninsula, islands, flat plains, rolling hills, "desert", farmlands and orchards, big lakes and long rivers...alright, maybe I shouldn't limit my maps. As long as the climate is relatively consistent.

I'm also debating whether or not I want to put up my maps on here. Probably not, since I don't have one that relates to anything I've been talking about, but it's a possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment