Basically, this is the first chance I've had to write in a while. I don't have much to say in the way of my own writing, except that it's not going anywhere. I've written about one more sentence in my Princess Cleo story, and two pages in another I'm working on. I tried to edit my novel and failed, but I did draw a map. I suppose that's something. The map is for the story I have two pages in, that I may just delete. Who knows. I have no idea where it's going anyway.
Some people may say I have writer's block. But I don't like to call it that. It's not a contagious illness or anything, it's just me having a brainfart. Those are pretty common. It just so happens to be a very long brainfart, one I'll get over eventually.
See, for me, story ideas come in one of two ways. One way is I'll be thinking about life, or something random, and an idea will spring into my mind as a "what if" kind of thing. "What if I kept waking up in random places and never knew how I got there?" Well, that can be a story! The other way is the idea builds up slowly. Usually it tumbles round and round my head like laundry, gathering bits and pieces of lint (or random ideas/knowledge). It's an idea, I just don't know what it is yet. Then, suddenly, I'll be watching something and it'll pop into my head and I'll be able to write for months about that subject, OR it'll come to me as I write what I have. Either way, I'll be writing about it for a long time. It's where I usually get my better ideas.
Right now, I have a laundry idea. No idea what it is, except my main character is a wild child.
When I write, sometimes it doesn't feel like I have to think about it at all. It's like I'm reading a story from inside me somewhere (if I wanted to be cheesy and sentimental I'd say my heart or my soul) and printing it out. It's like I plant a seed and it grows on its own, and all I have to do is make executive, syntactical decisions like how to phrase sentences and such.
At this point in time, however, I don't think it's working out quite like that. That's alright. I'll muddle on through like I usually do. C'est la vie.
Back to the subject of writer's block: this is one of my favorite quotes of all time, by a favorite author of mine. Philip Pullman.
"Writer's block…a lot of howling nonsense would be avoided if, in every sentence containing the word WRITER, that word was taken out and the word PLUMBER substituted; and the result examined for the sense it makes. Do plumbers get plumber's block? What would you think of a plumber who used that as an excuse not to do any work that day?" -Philip Pullman
Well, that's all I have to say for now. I'll post some more of my cheese poetry.
No comments:
Post a Comment