"Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much do the same thing." -Meg Chittenden

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Distraction

I will be completely honest. I have done no editing, and next to no planning for my shadowguard novels since I finished book 2. I could lie and say it's because I'm a preschool teacher in my other life,  but that would be lying (obviously).

In reality, it's because I've started an entirely new book, and gotten pretty far on it too. It's an elongated version of Hans Christian Anderson's The Little Mermaid, with a twist. I'm trying to keep the story itself fairly close to the original, while also making it fresh and unique. You can read the version I'm using as a reference here.

I also plan to write other versions of Aladdin, Peter Pan, and The Wild Swans (which I've actually already started). I have always enjoyed rewritten fairy tales, and I have to say they're in part easier to write than other novels. At least this way, I don't really have to come up with the main plot...that part has already been done for me!

Explains why Disney never comes up with its own ideas (not that I'm complaining).

As far as the Shadowguard goes...I've started book 3 and finished about 5 pages of writing. Yay me!

No comments:

Post a Comment