It has been a while. In all honesty, it has been a while since I have written (or edited) anything besides my diary and my travel journal. I have been busy with work, then preparing for graduate school, and then an exceptionally nice summer with more things to do than usual. So now that it's fall, I've suddenly decided that life is better when I'm writing, and here we go.
My rendition of The Little Mermaid is complete, and I have even revised a few chapters. After a later re-reading, I decided that it's no good, and I will be working heavily on it. Later.
The Shadowguard is still at a complete stop. I really need to figure out what I'm doing there before I continue.
And my current work (previously titled "The Winter Changeling") is being utterly revised and changed. I had this idea years ago, and it was really cool, involving a magical force that surrounds the world like a blanket and acts somewhat like the weather does (constantly changing, some places have a kind of "climate", etc.) called the thaumaturge. The idea for the story involved a changeling as the main character, and I still like this idea as well as the thaumaturge. However, the writing was all bad so I took a day to revise it all. Actually, I have done nothing to the writing except delete it. Now my story has "Chapter one" written in it. and the rest might have to wait until later. It's getting late.
Basically, what I did today was change the setting of the story so that it was more like Gaelic Ireland. I had already chosen several Irish names for my characters, so it wasn't difficult to make the decision to rename everything, then create lore for the world I'd built. I have been reading about Irish folklore and history all day, even going into the language. Based on that, I've created a new country full of territories, and I am ready for the story to begin.
However, I can't decide if I'm going to write in first or third person, and also I have three names picked for my protagonist. Choices, choices. I like writing in first person better, because it flows better for me and I like being able to get into a character's head. But third person allows me to add perspectives if I want (which I might later), and allows for a broader description. I like having the outsider's perspective as well. But I hate having two POV's in first person. So I need to make a choice. I'm leaning toward 3rd person, but we'll see.
Anyway, further updates will hopefully come soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment