"Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much do the same thing." -Meg Chittenden

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Words Are Hard

48,783 words, and I'm stuck like a truck in the mud (couldn't help the simile...I'm listening to Cruise by Florida Georgia Line). Possibly it's because I'm tired. Also, quite possibly, I've run the story to the ground. That happens too often to be fun, and I may have to take a whole bunch out.

Yay.

Making enormous cuts is quite easily my least favorite part of writing, along with revising. Actually, revising wouldn't be bad if I could get my changes typed up quickly (I usually revise by hand first and then type it up, which is the boring, time-consuming part. Maybe I need a better method). Anyway, big cuts always suck, unless you're making paper snowflakes. Only time they're good. Otherwise you're losing words, money, blood, accuracy, whatever. Not good. They make me sad in my writing. I worked hard for those words!

Speaking of which, my sister is home for Thanksgiving break. Whenever any of my family struggles with saying something (stuttering over sentences, mashing them up, etc...stuff you do in any normal conversation) she pops in with "Words are hard" to tease you. I thought it appropriate for the context.

Writer's block? Faugh. More like a massive brainfart. With all that food I ate for Thanksgiving, it's not surprising. The gas bubbles just went up instead of down.

No comments:

Post a Comment