The Barenaked Ladies had it absolutely right. They would buy love with their million dollars. What would you buy?
Me? Well, my dad posed the question to me once or twice (actually we may discuss it fairly frequently). My answer was easy, and I didn't think about it for a second: I told him I'd buy books with all my money.
Now, that's an interesting prospect: a million dollars worth of books. I didn't think farther into my lovely fantasy than that. Who would want to? But my dad, being an engineer, of course decided to pick it apart, and asked me if I could read that many books.
Good question. So, here I am putting a million dollars into a reader's perspective.
Let us say that for convenient purposes, I buy books on average at 10 dollars per book (taking into account that most paperbacks cost about 8 and most hardcovers are close to 20, but I tend to buy more paperback or Kindle versions). With my million dollars, I could buy 100,000 books. Excellent.
Now, let us imagine that I read an average of 3 books every 24 hours. If I don't take into account the need to sleep, eat, work, have any kind of social life, etc., then it would take me 33,333.33 days to read them all. That is approximately 91 years, at which point I'll be so old and decrepit (and quite likely dead) that in fact, it is NOT possible to read that many books in a lifetime.
If I were a nice, sparkly vegetarian vampire, on the other hand, I think I might manage it.
On another note (yet it's still related to reading, go figure), my literary love life is going well. I finished a book called Something Strange and Deadly today, started, and finished, a book called The Space Between, and I'm about to start reading a Kindle sample of Lord of the Fading Lands. I also have eight books checked out from KCLS, and fifteen more on hold. I may not like how King County spends its tax dollars, but I do quite enjoy the inter-library loans!
For the first book I read, I didn't like it much. It was worth reading, but not worth buying. The characters fell flat for me (and holy CRAP I hope that never happens in one of my books...that's just about the worst thing I can think of, besides stupid, useless love triangles and cliffhangers) and the love story was just...unbelievable. And I mean that in the sense that it didn't seem realistic.
Anywhoodles, the second (The Space Between) was a totally worthwhile read. I'd give it a nine out of ten stars, and honestly I can't pinpoint exactly why I didn't give it a full ten, but I know there was a reason. I generally trust my literary instincts. I'll edit this post when I think of it (if I ever actually do).
An update on my current writing status: Still editing chapter two of book one (I've progressed about a page since I last picked it up). Why is revising so difficult? I'm at about 36,000 words for book two. Progress there, at least. Yay!
I won't be writing any more tonight though. For now, it's time to begin reading again!
No comments:
Post a Comment