"Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much do the same thing." -Meg Chittenden

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Support Your Local Library

I do. All the time. In fact, I'm about to go pay about 10 dollars in fines right now. Because while I may have rediscovered KCLS since being home, it has rediscovered my wallet.

This is one of two covers the book has.   
Somehow, in less than a month, I've managed to accumulate some massive fines for a couple books. I suppose this is what I get for checking out 25 books at a time. I couldn't even check books out until I paid my outstanding fines (20 dollars from several years ago) a short while ago, and now I'm almost back up to the "fine line" (pun intended). When I last paid my fines, the librarian told me that it wasn't the worst he'd seen. That, in fact, earlier that week someone had paid a $16,000 fine. Neither one of us had any clue as to how they managed that. Maybe they checked out a few computers.

On another note, I finished one of my library books--with plenty of time to spare, in this case. Lately, I've become hooked on Juliet Marillier's books. I swear this woman writes the equivalent to literary crack; the high is amazing, and I can't handle the withdrawals, so I get another fix. I finished Heart's Blood yesterday, which is the best rendition of Beauty and the Beast I've ever read, and that's my least favorite fairy tale. The book doesn't come right out and say that it's a rewritten fairy tale, and I'll admit it was decently subtle. It had the same themes though, and I loved it. Another good one was Shadowfell, and of course the Sevenwaters books, which I'm still working my way through. These books are not as airy and whimsical as what I usually read, but that's a good thing. I'm branching out. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment